Fiddling around with contact lenses everyday, the hassle and cost of making sure you have enough stock, and dealing with glasses that slip down your nose in the heat, are just some of the issues you probably face if you’ve not been blessedwith perfect vision. We talked to DrCheryl Lee, from the Pacific Eye Centre, about revolutionary new procedures that offer another option
As one of the five senses, sight plays ahuge role in your day-to-day life. Itaffects your ability to drive, to see inbright or low lights and to read.For some glasses is the answer. Others prefer contact lenses.But advances in surgery have brought about a third option, one that can give you near perfect vision without relying on laser surgery or the hassle of glasses and contact lenses; one that can, quite literally, change your life within fiveminutes. That option is permanent contact lenses.
Implantable Contact Lenses (ICLTM) are placed within the eye by a simple surgical procedure. They are made from collamer, which is like collagen, a substance naturally found in the body.
Dr Lee, a retinal surgeon, has more than ten years of experience in the field of ophthalmology, including specialist training in the UK, USA and France. She points out: “Essentially, this is about your quality of life. Wearing contact lenses for many hours a day causes dry and red eyes, and many people end up squinting by the end of the day. Regular contact lenses are also difficult to use during water activities, such as swimming, as there is a real risk of infection. However, implantable lenses work just like your normal contact lens but without the daily hassle and discomfort.”
The advantages of Implantable Contact Lenses (ICL)
- ICL does not alter the shape of the cornea, unlike laser procedures, which affect the corneal tissue. The eye’s natural lens is not replaced. The ICL simply lies under the iris and above the natural lens.
- They are made from collamer, similar to collagen, a substance naturally found in the body, which means they are more compatible and will not be rejected.
- The new lenses are inserted through a tiny self-healing incision of 2.5mm. This means a fast recovery.
- With ICL there is less risk ofside effects such as dry eyes and nighttime glare.
- Once corrected, your vision is stable and there is no need to wear glasses or contact lenses.
- A unique feature is that the procedure, which takes less than five minutes per eye, is reversible and causes no damage to the eye. This means thatif future treatment is required, should vision problems develop due to aging, the lenses can be removed and replaced with a multifocal lens.
- ICL offers UV protection, against the sun’s harmful rays.
- The procedure can be performed under a local anesthetic, or sedation if the patient does not want to be aware.