How to avoid and prevent contact lens/ortho-k related problems?
At The EyeClinic by Dr Cheryl Lee, we take pride in our good results with ortho-K. It is the only practice that Ortho-K is supervised by a doctor ensuring that your child is under the best care. We have started a regime that reduces risk of problems with lenses and by following the regime, you will have good results.
2 commonest issues
- Dry eyes
Infections are caused by
- Blepharitis (dirty eyelashes)
- Hand/lens hygiene
Both can be prevented by
- Washing your hands with soap and drying your hands before touching the lenses during insertion or removal. Also, keep your fingernails short to avoid scratching the lenses or your eye.
- Never using tap water, saliva or any liquid other than the recommended Cleaning and Multi-purpose solution to clean your lenses.
- Removing all make up first before inserting the lenses.
- Never go swimming, showering or using the sauna while wearing the contact lenses.
- Replacing your lenses yearly.
- Discarding the remaining solution one month after opening. Changing the lens case at least every 3 months.
- Cleaning the lenses carefully. They can be broken as they are fragile.
- Taking esterified Omega three supplements to ensure good oil in the tear film to prevent dryness.
- Keeping eyelashes clean with daily eye wipes and BlephEx every 6 months.